Friday, October 30, 2009

Christmas Gatefold Scrapbook

OK- I went a little overboard on this one... I admit I got carried away and created a lot more work for myself than I needed to, but I think it was worth it and I think the students in my class liked the end result. The only junk thing is we ran out of time! I guess I need to budget more time next time (if there is a next time that is). I learned how to make this cool scrapbook from Brian at Photocraft, who learned it from a customer in that visited them from Oregon. Sorry, I really don't know who that person is, but she deserves full credit for this technique.
Since the last scrapbook class I taught I received feedback that the students wanted to have the papers selected for them, I decided to make kits (last time everyone cut their own). Since I needed to find non-gender specific theme, I thought Christmas would be a good theme since most people observe Christmas in one way or another.
So after you open up the ribbon and front cover, this is the first "page". The Christmas tree is covering the gatefold.
When you open it up... Ta Daaaaa! I love the pop up effect I was able to get from these Christmas Tree Spellbinders. I told my students that they could also use this technique for cards as well. I decorated the tree using the red Smooch. This metallic paint is great if you can't wait for it to dry. Normally I would have used stickles, but we just didn't have enough time.
This next page is actually behind the Christmas Tree page. I love the background DP used on this page. Too bad you can't see the detail on it. It actually has glittered flourishes all over the page. I used my new Spellbinders Pointsetta die and layered the pieces, then used gold smooch to make the middle of the flower.
Here's another favorite of mine. I used the Fleur de lis pendant by Spellbinders, cut two and made a snowflake using white glitter paper. Then I cut two hearts from my spellbinders and made an ornament. I thought the students could write on the hearts to document the date, place, etc (something small that would fit on the hearts).
The next gatefold I covered using a large Sizzix snowflake die cut from white glitter cardstock.
When you open it up, it looks like this... At first I just cut the snowflakes (sizzix), but decided at the last minute to add in the three snowmen (The Greeting Farm). I think they added something to the page.
This is the middle section of the scrapbook after you open it up on both sides. I kept it simple since there's a lot going on in this section. I didn't want it too distracting since it was like 3 pages in one.
This first page is very simple. Just a large circle and scallop circle cut from spellbinders over two strips of candy cane striped paper.
Everyone got a kick out of this page. I found some cool paper at Island Scrapbooking that had a whole page full of these swirl peppermint candies, so I punched them out and wrapped them in cellophane. This reminds me of the Night Before Christmas story where "visions of sugarplums danced in their heads..."
Here's the last gatefold. I decided to go with a simple star. Reminds me of Macy's.
The inside was decorated with more stars.
Finally, this is the last two pages behind the snoflake gatefold. The letters on this next page were custom alphabets by Island Scrapbooking. Thank you Michele!
I told the students that if they didn't want such a cutsie looking scrapbook to scrap the gingerbread men. I added them in in case they wanted to do a holiday goodies page. In their kits, I decided to stamp the gingerbread men on brown paper instead since I had trouble with the coloring. These cute stamps are by Two Scoops Rice.
I love how this scrapbook turned out. Maybe I'll use this idea to make Christmas gifts this year!
Supplies:
DP: Doodlebug, Reminisce, Best Creation, Imaginisce, DCWV
Cardstock- Bazzil
Gingerbread men- Two Scoops Rice
Snowmen- The Greeting Farm
Snowflake dies, flourish die- Sizzix
Circles, scallop circles, labels #9, pointsetta, xmas tree, Labels #1, stars, scallop square, hearts and Fleur de lis dies- Spellbinders
Ribbon
Stickles
Dew Drops
Smooch
J,O,Y- Island Scrapbooking Laser Cuts
Cellophane
Lace border punch- Martha Stewart

1 comment:

Waipahu CBDO dba Waipahu Community Coalition said...

awesome Jenny!You are so creative and amazing! I wish I had your creativity! Happy Halloween!