Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mixed Media Waterfall Album

Hello!  I'm pre-scheduling this post, so I'm thinking this will be mid week by the time you see this.  I told you I've been busy crafting right?  Yup, when the creative juices are flowing, you have to seize the day and make as much as you can.  I stayed up till 2am over the weekend working on lots of projects, so now I have lots of stuff to post!

OK so as I was watching Prima Live with Leeza Gibbons, and Frank's previous Prima Live show featuring Leeza's new waterfall album, I was inspired to make my own version.  Yes, there are no stores here  in Hilo that carry that album, so I thought I'd try to make something similar.  Here's what I came up with.. yes, not nearly as nice as the Prima version, but enough to satisfy me...

I started with some cereal boxes for my covers.  Used my new Sunrise/Sunset papers by Prima.  LOVE THEM!  I chose the lace printed ones for the covers.  After I covered both, I punched the holes using my cinch and attached the binding.

Then I started decorating the cover... started with some chicken wire I bought from our local Ace store and sprayed it with white paint to help rustproof it.  After cutting down the wire to the size I wanted, I adhered it using my hot glue gun.

Then I added some burlap leaves I cut using a Sizzix die and burlap fabric.  The fabric was a light sage color, so I used my distress stains again to make the color how I wanted it to look.  Then I added some gesso to make it look distressed.  After going through my stash, I picked out some flowers by Wild Orchid Crafts, some shabby flower trim, pearls and metal flowers from the sunrise/sunset collection.  I also pulled some wood mushrooms and leaves from Prima.  And do you see the keyhole above the mushrooms?  I cut that from a Tim Holtz die and painted it white.

After I was done with the cover, I got the key that was also cut from the same Tim Holtz die and painted it with gesso and added a white heart pearl by Doodlebug.  Used some twine to attach it to the binding.  On the other end of the twine, I added another metal flower, bauble and pearl

 And now for a look on the inside... I picked out different patterns from the sunrise/sunset line and cut them down to 6" x 9 1/2", and about 1 1/2" shorter for each layering piece.  There are 4 pages on each side, so a total of 8 pages.  I thought I could use the bulkier embellishments like flowers on the part that extends past the page above it.  Before adhering it down to the covers, I punched holes and attached them using seam binding.

Now I wish I had distressed the edges of the pages, but I thought it was just my prototype!  Oh well, maybe next time I'll remember to do so.


Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Wowser, so beautiful. You're on a roll.

Linda said...

Love how the album turned out! Frank is gonna be one of the instructors at Art Venture!