Monday, October 28, 2013

Christmas Tags Class

Every year, I normally teach a Christmas class of some sorts.  Sometimes I do a whole series of Christmas classes and sometimes it's just one class.  This year, I was only able to do two classes but they were a total of 12 different tags.  I still need to take photos from the first tag class, but I managed to remember to take photos from today's class.

Here's a pix of the 6 we did today...


This first tag was on my mind for quite some time.. I guess you could say it was the inspiration of the class!  Although not illustrated here, you can tie the ends of the banner to a gift bag and let it hang.  You can make it larger or smaller by adding more banners. I used an EK success triangle punch, but there are several companies that make banner punches or dies now.  The letters shown here are by PTI, but in class we used the alphabet dies by Lawn Fawn.  Background paper is by Doodlebug.


This second tag was a last minute change from what was originally submitted.  I really wanted to introduce Inka Gold to the class to see if they liked it. They had a great time trying out the new product and looking at all the color options.  All of the snowflakes were old Martha Stewart punches.  The snowflake border is a memory box die. Added some crystals for embellishments and more bling.


This next tag was the last tag I worked on.  I stayed up pretty late and made more modifications this morning until I was satisfied with it.  Decided to use the new Mama Elephant stamps.  So happy the store now carries Mama Elephant!  I've been waiting for this set for almost a year!  Used the polariod stamp from an old Lawn Fawn set as the base of the tag.  Then aligned the deer from Mama Elephant and speech bubble from Lawn Fawn and stamped it together.  Then stamped the No Peeking sentiment that is also part of the Mama Elephant set.  The Merry Christmas sentiment is by Island Scrapbooking and fits perfectly on the bottom of the polaroid.  Topped it off with a bow.


I think this is my favorite tag of the set.  This was inspired by the cupcake picks you see all over the internet.  By using a BBQ skewer, you can stick the stick into any gift bag and let it pop out!  Love it!  I cut up the flags using a 2 1/2" x 7" strip of Doodlebug paper.  Then folded it around the skewere and taped it together.  You flag will look like a rectangle, but then you cut the points to make it look like a banner.  You can adjust the size of your flag depending on what you want to put on it, but I think this size came out pretty good for a gift bag.  The Santa was actually punched from the back of the scrap paper of the flag.  I used a 1" punch to punch out Santa and then a 1 1/4" white circle behind it.  Finally mounted both on a 1 3/4" scallop circle.

To secure the ribbon/baker's twine so that it doesn't keep falling off, I punched a tiny hole next to the stick on the top of the flag.  Then threaded the ribbon/baker's twine through it before tying a bow.


One of the other tags I wanted to do included a clothes pin.  I thought it would be fun to use the clothespin as an accessory to the tag, but it can also be functional to clip the tag to your gift!

Used a Memory Box tag die as the base out of kraft cardstock.  The holly border die is also by Memory Box- can you tell it's one of my favorite die companies?

The sentiment was from a Paper Smooches set, which was embossed in white to look like icing.  The mini gingerbread man is another Island Scrapbooking laser cut. Topped it off with some red pearls to look like the holly berries.

The clothespin was made by covering each side with 1/4" strip of designer paper. Then I punched a heart using an old Martha Stewart punch and added PTI button and tiny bow.  I thought this would be cute to put on some baked goods for my neighbors or work place.


My last tag was made using the envelope punch board.  If you haven't picked this up yet, you need to.  There are so many amazing projects circulating out there and new ideas are cropping up every day!  I'm amazed how much this new tool has changed how we make paper projects!

This project was inspired by the mini treat holder that is circulating on the internet.  It's meant to hold a mini candy bar and many people are using it for Halloween projects.  Since we often give candy canes at Christmas, I thought I'd adjust it a bit to fit a candy cane or money that you can then hang from a gift bag.

The dimensions are 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" cardstock and punch/score starting at the 2 5/8" mark. Then rotate and line up with the score guide and punch/score again.  After adhering it down, you will get something that looks like this.



I used the Season's Tweeting's stamp set by Lawn Fawn, a Spellbinders heart die and the Memory Box branch die to decorate.

We had a great time in class!  Need to finish up one more class next Saturday then its craft fair prep time!

1 comment:

eva said...

these are all so cute! so wonderful of you to teach classes!