Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August OCS- Asian Card Challenge

Since my buddy Linda took over the OCS, she's issued us some challenges! Last month's challenge was to use words as your focal point and boy was that hard for me! This month's challenge was a bit easier and oh so inspiring! She asked us to make an asian themed card. I love asian themed stamps, paper, etc. so I couldn't decide what to do for my card.
While purchasing Cupcake Anya from the TGF website, I shopped around to see if there were any other digis I wanted and decided on Karate Anya. I've always thought she was so cute but didn't think I had any use for Anya in her gee... and then it hit me! Her hairdo reminded me of Chun Li (any Street Fighter fans out there?) or Shampoo (any Ranma fans??), so I thought I could definitely do some altering and utilize that cute 'do. (or maybe she has the Princess Leia's donut rolls?).
Since the challenge was an asian theme, I thought it would be perfect to put Karate Anya's head on Geisha Anya's body. Honestly, I'm not that fond of Geisha Anya's head, so this was an exciting idea I couldn't wait to try. I think this was my first time altering an Anya. I cheated and just cut the kimono off of Geisha and put it on Karate. Sort of like paper dolls. I think it would freak me out to cut off Karate Anya's head!
Enough of my issues... for the rest of the card, I decided to use some washi paper scraps and Island Scrapbooking mini sakura laser cuts. Love how its cut with the glitter paper so I don't have to go over it with my stickles. Finished it off with a Hero Arts Kanji thank you stamp. Because gold mirrored cardstock is so scarce nowdays, I decided to use some old gold origami type paper instead. Since its a card (and not scrapbook), don't need to worry about being archival safe.
Here's a close up of Karate Geisha Anya. I added bows to each bun. Her kimono was colored with Copics and Spica (glitter) pens. I kinda like how the gold came out.
And as a tribute to my friend Teri... I decorated the inside of the card! My OCS partner this month was Myra... Hi Myra! Hope you like this card! I met Myra at one of Teri's classes awhile ago. She is so sweet and I'm so glad she started her own blog. Check it out here...
Supplies:
  • Karate Anya- TGF
  • Geisha Anya clothes- TGF
  • Thank you kanji- Hero Arts
  • Thank you sentiment (inside)- CC's Designs
  • Sakura- Island Scrapbooking laser cuts
  • border punch- SU
  • Oval and scallop oval punch- SU
  • Ribbon
  • Washi paper- source unknown
  • Origami paper (gold)- Hanko

13 comments:

Brenda said...

this is super duper cute! love those little bows!

Debi said...

Love this Jenny and I agree about Geisha's head. This one is cuter. Great card!

Shirley N said...

OMGosh this is so darned cute--love your altered Anya and your layout. Great job Jenny!

Jo said...

Such a cute card Jenny! I love the altering and the color combo.

joni h said...

what a great Asian themed OCS!! Love your altering! Yoku desu ne.

Unknown said...

Super cute card! Love your altering too :)

mst822 said...

Aww shucks, your card is so darn cute! Luv the altering, so creative! The color combo is beautiful! TFS!
Tammy

Teri said...

You are a genius Jenny! I LOVE what you did with these 2 anya images! I don't care for the geisha anya too, so this head went perfect with the kimono! Love this card! and your decorating the inside card is so perfect!

Enjoli said...

This is the cutest card ever! You are so creative. How did you fit the Anya head so perfect? TFS! Hope all is well with you! Take care! Hugs, Enjoli

~*Joni said...

Oh how sweet!! I love the altering, and Karate Anya is perfect with the geisha kimono! Beautiful colors, perfectly Asian. I know she'll enjoy it!

Happy Honu said...

I LOVE this card, and ladies it looks SUPER awesome in person...your August card has been sent, hee, hee, enjoy, and I loved having you as my partner =)

Jodi said...

Super super cute!! I love your asian themed card and I can see Myra did too!! Adorable image choice and great altering!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Linda said...

OMG - I missed this post and just today I was telling Kyoko that I was gonna alter Geisha Anya for a challenge because her head is too big! Then she says, "Jenny already did that!" Whaaat??? Ok, so I'm gonna "jack" your idea, ok? But I'm not gonna use the Karate head. Hahaha - this comment is so funny ... I love this card Jenny! Hope you're doing well and keep in touch! xoxo, Linda