Saturday, November 28, 2009

Countdown To Christmas

Now that Thanksgiving is over, the countdown to Chirstmas begins! Akemi is a bit older now, so she is more aware of the holidays. Since we enjoy crafting together, I thought making an advent calendar together would be a great project! I found the project at Splitcoast Stampers and thought this was easy enough to do..
I just love the Christmas Doodlebug Designs paper that came out this year, and knew I wanted to incorporate it into our project. I used the stripes, poka dots and candy paper as the backgrounds for each tin. I found a set of 12 circle tins at Ben Franklin, so two sets did the trick. The board I used is actually a canvas that I just adhered the squares to. Here's a side view of the board.. Here you can see tha twe actually covered each tin w/a strip of DP.
The dates were cut using the Sizzix Endless Love alphabet set. The size of the numbers were the perfect for the size for the tin.
Since the DP had gingerbread men on it, I thought my new Sizzix Gingerbread Man die would go perfectly. He's a little big, so he hangs off the edge. To give him the decorated feel, I used Dew Drops on his eyes and used black fabric paint for his eyes, liquid pearls for his smile and Candy Dots for his buttons. I ended up having to adhere the "to" to his tummy since there wasn't enough room.
Here's a close up of the titling... "Countdown" was also cut from Endless love. The hollys were punched using my MS Punch and crystals for the berries.
"Christmas" was cut from Quickutz cookie cutter dies- sorry I forget the name of the font.
The only drawback is that there aren't many things that fit into the tins. My daughter tried to get me to put dollars in there, but we "negotiated" down to 50 cents. I think she will be a chief negotiator someday.
Well, hope this project inspires you to spend some crafty time with your little ones!
Supplies:
DP- Doodlebug Designs
Cardstock- Bazzil
Gingerbread die- Sizzix
Endless Love font- Sizzix
"Christmas" font- Quickutz
Dew Drops
Liquid Pearls
Candy dots- Pebbles Inc.
Holly punch- MS Crafts
Crystals- Hero Arts
Canvas Board
Velcro

6 comments:

Amy said...

What a super cute idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

Maylee said...

Wonderful and super clever project Jenny!

Unknown said...

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing :)

Kim Dellow said...

Love your advent calender that is such a fab idea. Kim

Teri said...

Such a cute idea for Akemi. I'm sure she will be enjoying everyday til Christmas!

Tammy said...

Oh Jenny this is brilliant! I love how it turned out. It will be a lot of fun for you and your daughter.